Bring the big screen into your kitchen with this dish inspired by Stanley Tucci's film Big Night! It goes perfectly with a side of pan-roasted potatoes with paprika.
- 1 top round beef steak (1 1/2 - 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- The steak should be 1/2-inch thick. If necessary, pound it between two sheets of waxed paper to achieve this thickness.
- Warm the butter and olive oil together in a large saute or cast-iron pan set over medium-high heat. When the butter is foaming rapidly, add the steak and fry to brown on one side, about 3 minutes. (If the steak is larger than your saute pan, cut it in half)
- Turn, and season with salt and pepper. Brown the other side, about 3 minutes. Remove from the pan to a warm platter and set aside. Add the wine and oregano to the pan, scraping up any meat that may have stuck to the bottom. Simmer to sweeten the wine, about 1 minute. Meanwhile, cut the meat into six equal portions. When the wine sauce is ready, pour it over the meat and serve immediately.