Surf and Turf
Clinton Kelly's Steak and Shrimp Duo
- 2 Boneless New York Strip Steaks (1-inch thick)
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons Butter (divided)
- 2 Shallots (finely minced)
- 3 Garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1 pound Shrimp (shells off and deveined; heads and tails on)
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 cup Whiskey (preferably Bourbon)
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mustard
- 1/4 cup Chives (minced)
- Heat a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Season the steaks liberally with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add about 3 tablespoons of oil to the pan along with 2 tablespoons of butter, and once foamy, carefully lay the steaks into the pan. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until dark golden brown.
- Once the steaks are medium rare (about 8 to 10 minutes in the pan), remove the steaks and set aside to rest.
- Add another 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and then add the shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Toss in the shrimp and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Cook for about a minute, then add the bourbon and orange juice, and reduce by half. Simmer until the shrimp just begin to turn pink. Stir in the honey, mustard and the rest of the butter. Swirl the pan to emulsify.
- Remove the pan from the stove and pour over the steaks. Garnish with chopped chives and serve.