Bacon may be most popular in the morning, but this dish tastes great any time of day!
Steakhouse Bacon with Grilled Spring Onions
- 1 pound Slab Bacon
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 4 Spring Onions (sliced in half lengthwise)
- For the Steak Sauce:
- 2 cups Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Raisins
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 Anchovies
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Toasted Cumin Seed
- 1 tablespoon Whole Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Celery Seed
- 2 cups Tomato Puree
- Preheat a grillpan to high heat. Cut the slab bacon into thick slices - just shy of an inch. Arrange on the grillpan and cook until bacon has cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to paper-towel lined plate.
- Drizzle the spring onions lightly with olive oil, then generously salt and pepper and toss to coat. Grill on the grillpan until bright green and charred in spots, about 3 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, tomato puree, onion, raisins, garlic, anchovies, brown sugar, cumin seed, cloves, and celery seed to a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced by two-thirds, about 10 minutes. Strain the mixture, pressing on the solids to get maximum flavor. Discard the solids.
- Serve the bacon with steaksauce and spring onion.