Stewed Chicken and Gravy
Skinless chicken thighs provide a ton of flavor without racking up too many calories.
- step-by-step directions
Laila Ali's Stewed Chicken and Gravy
- 6-8 Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 6-8 Chicken Tenders
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 cup chopped Green Onion
- 6 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped Thyme
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 3 teaspoons Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup fresh Parsley to garnish
- sifted Flour to thicken gravy
- Put chicken in a large mixing bowl. Add paprika, chili powder, black pepper, and sea salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium low heat in a large sauté pan. Add yellow onion, green onion and garlic. Sauté about 6 to 8 minutes or until they begin to brown. Remove onions from the pan and set aside.
- Put chicken in the sauté pan. Add a little more olive oil if needed. Turn heat up to medium high and brown chicken on both sides, about 10 to 12 minutes total.
- Return onions back to the pan. Pour in 5 cups of warm water. Add thyme and bay leaves. Stir all ingredients together and cook uncovered on medium heat for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Thicken gravy with sifted flour as needed. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley. Serve hot over rice or other starch.