Sticky Toffee Pudding
A super moist date cake is drizzled with warm toffee sauce that's been spiked with rum.
- step-by-step directions
Sticky Toffee Pudding
- 1 1/4 cups Pitted Dates (cut crosswise into 1/4" slices)
- 3/4 cup Hot Water
- 1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Packed Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon Lemon zest
- Vanilla Ice Cream; Whipped Cream; or Greek Yogurt (to serve)
For the Toffee Sauce:
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 2/3 cups Heavy Cream
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tablespoon Dark Rum
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour six 1/2-cup ramekins and set aside.
- Combine the dates and hot water in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the dates to soften, about 15 minutes. Puree date/water mixture in a blender and cool. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt on parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, eggs, zest and date puree. Stir in the dry ingredients. Divide batter into prepared ramekins and bake about 20 minutes. Cool slightly and remove the cakes from the ramekins. Serve with the warm sauce and your choice of ice cream, whipped cream or yogurt.
- For the Toffee Sauce: In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, 1 cup of the heavy cream, and salt. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is smooth. Stir in rum and remaining 2/3 cup heavy cream. Mixture will bubble up.
- Helpful Tips:
1. Butter and flour the ramekins prior to filling to ensure the pudding slides out with ease.
2. A variety of toppings make this dessert fun and easy to personalize.
The Sweet and Spicy Burger
Quick Caprese Salad
Grilled Chicken with Mango BBQ Sauce
Fried Salami Provolone-Stuffed Hot Dog
Cherry Upside-Down Cake
Hazelnut-Crusted Swordfish Picatta with Charred Romano Beans
Spicy Peanut Grilled Chicken
Jerk Chicken Egg Rolls
Chilled Corn Soup with Ancho Chili Puree
Chimichurri Grilled Wings
Peach Pie Pinwheels
Crispy Ginger Thai Wings