Baked Penne with Sausage
Michael Symon's Stove Top Pastitsio
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound Lamb Sausage (casing removed and crumbled finely)
- 1/2 medium Yellow Onion (diced)
- 3 Garlic cloves (sliced)
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 teaspoons Red Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
- 1 bunch fresh Parsley (leaves torn and roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 pound fresh Penne
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is smoking, add the lamb and let sit in the pan to caramelize, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and the garlic and season with salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the lamb is well browned. Add the tomato paste and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Season the mixture with salt, pepper, red chili flakes and freshly grated nutmeg. Add half of the chopped parsley and cream and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, cook the fresh pasta for 3 to 4 minutes in the boiling salted water (or one minute short of package instructions). Strain the pasta from the water and add to the lamb sauce and toss to coat. Add a ladle of pasta water to loosen sauce, if needed.
- Serve with a garnish of parsley and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.