Crispy bacon provides a salty counterpart to the sweet strawberry topping.
Strawberry French Toast
- 1 Pullman Loaf (1 1/2 inch thick slices - 12 slices)
- 6 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 3/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
- pinch of Salt
- Butter for frying
- Whipped Cream to garnish
- Maple Syrup to garnish
- Powdered Sugar to garnish
- Crispy Bacon to serve
- For the Strawberry Topping:
- 1 pound Strawberries (hulled and divided)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- pinch of Salt
- Lay bread slices out to dry an hour before prepping.
- In a rimmed baking dish, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, vanilla and spices. Heat a griddle or large non stick pan over medium with a few tablespoons of butter. Begin to dredge the bread in the egg mixture making sure to thoroughly coat on both sides.
- Add a few pieces of soaked bread to the pan making sure not to overcrowd. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden and crispy on the first side. Flip and continue to cook on the second side for 2 more minutes or until golden. Remove to a plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Cook remaining pieces of toast.
- Serve two pieces of toast with a drizzle of strawberry sauce and your choice of toppings along with crispy bacon. Note: If making a larger batch you can keep cooked toast warm on a baking sheet covered with foil in a warming oven.
- For the Strawberry Topping: Chop half of the strawberries and combine with the sugar, lemon juice and salt in a medium sauce pot. Cook over medium heat, mashing with a potato masher until coarse but juicy. Allow mixture to cook for 4 to 5 minutes just to thicken slightly.
- Meanwhile, slice the remaining strawberries. Add the sliced strawberries to the pot once the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Serve warm.
Similar categories: Ingredients Fruit Strawberries Courses & Meals Breakfast & Brunch Waffles, Pancakes & French Toast Holidays & Occasions Valentine's Day