Strawberry Layer Pastry
Carla Hall's Strawberry Napoleon
- 1 package Store Bought Puff Pastry (two sheets)
- melted Butter
- 2 cups Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 1 pound Strawberries (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Water
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- melted Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place pastry dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into 24 rectangles. Transfer to 2 baking sheets and brush with melted butter and gently sprinkle with salt. Bake until golden brown and flakey, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk powdered sugar to remove lumps. Add water and lemon juice and stir to create a smooth icing.
- Working individually, spread a thin layer of icing on the top of 6 pieces. Drizzle thin, horizontal lines of chocolate over the icing widthwise. Drag a toothpick across perpendicular to the chocolate in alternating directions.
- Place strawberries and sugar in a medium pot with a pinch of salt and smash with a potato masher or wooden spoon. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes to dissolve sugar and reduce liquid by half.
- To assemble, place a piece of puff pastry on a plate and top with a layer of pastry cream. Add another layer of puff pastry and top with a thin layer of strawberry preserve. Add a third layer of puff pastry and top with pastry cream. Add the decorated layer of puff pastry to the top.
- Create a collar out of foil to hold Napoleon shape. Place in the fridge to chill until ready to serve.