These cookies are great to give as a gift, to eat after dinner or just about any other time. Enjoy.
Strawberry Shortbread Bars
- 1/2 pound Butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 3/4 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 3/4 cup Strawberry Jam
- 1 cup Strawberries (sliced)
- Zest and juice of 2 Lemons
- Confectioners Sugar to Dust
- Combine the butter and sugars in a large bowl. Using an electric stand mixer set at medium-low speed, beat until creamy. Add the vanilla and salt and beat until combined.
- Beat the flours into the butter mixture on low until a soft dough forms.
- Preheat oven to 325F, with a rack positioned in the center.
- Press half of the dough into a greased 9x13 baking pan and wrap the remaining dough in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the strawberry jam, fresh strawberries, and lemon zest and juice.
- Bake the crust until set and golden around the edges, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Spread the strawberry mixture over the crust, and crumble the reserved shortbread dough over top. Return the pan to the oven and bake until the topping is firm and golden brown, about 45-50 minutes. Dust with confectioners sugar, and allow to cool before slicing and serving.