Enjoy this classic dessert!
Clinton Kelly's Strawberry Tart
- For the Dough:
- 1 large Egg Yolk
- 2 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/4 Sticks Butter (cold and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
For the Pastry Cream:
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 cups Strawberries (hulled and halved)
- 1/2 cup Strawberry Jam
- 1 tablespoon Water
- For the Dough: Whisk together yolk, cream and vanilla in small bowl.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in food processor with 4 1-second pulses. Scatter butter pieces to cut butter into flour.
- With machine running, add egg mixture and process until dough comes together. Turn dough onto sheet of plastic wrap and press into 6" disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 48 hours.
- Roll dough out between two pieces of lightly floured parchment or plastic.
- Transfer dough to tart pan or pie plate by rolling dough loosely over rolling pie and rolling it back over pie plate.
- Blind bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- For the Pastry Cream: Heat the milk and cream in a sauce pot over medium-low until steaming.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in bowl. Pour hot cream over and whisk to combine. Return milk mixture to pot and bring to a low boil, continuing to whisk.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs and temper 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture into the eggs. Gradually pour this back into the pot and continue to whisk as the mixture comes to a boil. Continue to cook until thick.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl with pats of butter in the bottom. Stir until butter melts. Chill with plastic wrap directly on top of pudding, then transfer to a pastry bag.
- For Assembly: Pipe the pastry cream into the tart shell. Arrange the halved strawberries in an array over the whole tart.
- In a small saucepot over medium heat, combine the water and jam and cook until the jam has loosened enough to glaze the top of the strawberry tart. Glaze the tart, and allow it to cool so that the glaze sets. Serve room temperature.