Simple Baked Fish
Mario Batali's Striped Bass in Cartoccio
- 4 6- ounce filets of Wild Striped Bass
- Salt and freshly ground Pepper
- 1 small Yellow Squash (julienne)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and julienne)
- 1 bulb fresh Fennel (julienne)
- 10 leaves Swiss Chard (trimmed and chiffonade)
- 4 branches fresh Oregano
- 1 bunch Italian Parsley (chopped to 1/4 cup yield)
- 12 Gaeta Olives
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Cut 4 pieces of parchment into 12 inch squares.
- Season each fish with salt and pepper. Mix the vegetables in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixed vegetables into 4 and place 1 portion in the center of each paper. Place 1 fish filet over the vegetables and 1 branch of oregano over the fillet. Divide the parsley, the olives and the wine over each fish filet and add a generous drizzle of the olive oil. Fold up each packet and seal the edges by folding them over several times.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes, and serve hot, taking care of the steam that will blast from the hot packet.
1. “In Cartoccio” is a simple technique that calls for baking in parchment paper. It creates a beautiful and inexpensive presentation.
2. Not a fan of bass? You can use any fish that you like for this dish.