Simple Baked Fish
Mario Batali's Striped Bass in Cartoccio
- 4 6- ounce filets of Wild Striped Bass
- Salt and freshly ground Pepper
- 1 small Yellow Squash (julienne)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and julienne)
- 1 bulb fresh Fennel (julienne)
- 10 leaves Swiss Chard (trimmed and chiffonade)
- 4 branches fresh Oregano
- 1 bunch Italian Parsley (chopped to 1/4 cup yield)
- 12 Gaeta Olives
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Cut 4 pieces of parchment into 12 inch squares.
- Season each fish with salt and pepper. Mix the vegetables in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixed vegetables into 4 and place 1 portion in the center of each paper. Place 1 fish filet over the vegetables and 1 branch of oregano over the fillet. Divide the parsley, the olives and the wine over each fish filet and add a generous drizzle of the olive oil. Fold up each packet and seal the edges by folding them over several times.
Bake in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes, and serve hot, taking care of the steam that will blast from the hot packet.
1. “In Cartoccio” is a simple technique that calls for baking in parchment paper. It creates a beautiful and inexpensive presentation.
2. Not a fan of bass? You can use any fish that you like for this dish.