Stuffed Acorn Squash
Winter squash and whole wheat croutons lighten up a calorie heavy side.
- step-by-step directions
Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 4 ounces Dried Mushrooms
- 2 cups Low-Sodium Vegetable stock
- 6 Acorn Squash (halved lengthwise and seeded)
- 5 tablespoons Butter (divided)
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- Olive Oil
- 1 large Red Onions (diced)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 Celery Root (peeled and diced)
- 3 sprigs Thyme (leaves pulled)
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Bread Croutons (same size as diced vegetables)
- 2 Tart Apples (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 cup Walnuts (toasted and chopped)
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
- freshly cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place mushrooms and vegetable stock in a sauce pot and bring to a simmer. Steep mushrooms until liquid has reduced by half. Remove from heat. Strain out the mushrooms and chop roughly. Reserve the stock.
- Cut a small part of the acorn squash off so it sits flat on a parchment lined baking sheet, with the bowl facing up. Heat 3 tablespoons butter and maple syrup together in a small pot just until butter melts. Stir together and brush over the cut squash.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium with a few tablespoons of butter. Sauté the onions for 2 minutes, seasoning with salt. Add the carrots and celery root and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and thyme leaves.
- Pour vegetable mixture in a large bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients. Add the mushrooms and stock, stirring to ensure liquid is absorb by the bread.
- Divide the mixture among the acorn squash, mounding but not over-flowing. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, remove foil, and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until squash is fork tender. Serve warm.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Squash Courses & Meals Dinner Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal