Stuffed Acorn Squash
Winter squash and whole wheat croutons lighten up a calorie heavy side.
- step-by-step directions
Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 4 ounces Dried Mushrooms
- 2 cups Low-Sodium Vegetable stock
- 6 Acorn Squash (halved lengthwise and seeded)
- 5 tablespoons Butter (divided)
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- Olive Oil
- 1 large Red Onions (diced)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 Celery Root (peeled and diced)
- 3 sprigs Thyme (leaves pulled)
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Bread Croutons (same size as diced vegetables)
- 2 Tart Apples (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 cup Walnuts (toasted and chopped)
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
- freshly cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place mushrooms and vegetable stock in a sauce pot and bring to a simmer. Steep mushrooms until liquid has reduced by half. Remove from heat. Strain out the mushrooms and chop roughly. Reserve the stock.
- Cut a small part of the acorn squash off so it sits flat on a parchment lined baking sheet, with the bowl facing up. Heat 3 tablespoons butter and maple syrup together in a small pot just until butter melts. Stir together and brush over the cut squash.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium with a few tablespoons of butter. Sauté the onions for 2 minutes, seasoning with salt. Add the carrots and celery root and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and thyme leaves.
- Pour vegetable mixture in a large bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients. Add the mushrooms and stock, stirring to ensure liquid is absorb by the bread.
- Divide the mixture among the acorn squash, mounding but not over-flowing. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, remove foil, and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until squash is fork tender. Serve warm.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Squash Courses & Meals Dinner Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel
Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice) with Chicken
Orecchiette with Sweet Sausage and Rapini
Lemon Coconut Sugar Cookies
Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto
Fried Green Tomato and Pimento Cheese Pizza
Bacon and Cheddar Pierogies
Spring Chicken Stew
Veggie Fried Rice with Oyster Mushrooms
Salmon Burger with Dill and Cucumber