Carla Hall and Clinton Kelly's Stuffed Crullers
Stuffed Crullers Recipe: Stuff these heavenly cakes with the filling of your choice. Think: jam, pastry cream, or chocolate-hazelnut spread.
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 6 tablespoons Butter (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 4 Eggs
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- Powdered Sugar (to garnish)
- Lemon Curd (for filling)
- Blueberry Jam (for filling)
- Chocolate Pastry Cream (for filling)
- Vanilla Pastry Cream (for filling)
C&C Fry Factory: Stuffed Crullers - 1
1 cup Flour
1 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and set aside.
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Milk
6 tablespoons Butter (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
Combine the water, milk and butter in a medium sauce pot and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Once butter has melted completely, whisk in the flour mixture. Vigorously whisk the mixture until the dough begins to pull away from the pan. The pan should be lightly coated in cooked dough too.
Turn dough out into a large bowl and beat to release steam. Once slightly cooled, whisk in eggs one at a time, incorporated fully between additions. Dough should have a nice glossy finish and be slightly sticky. Transfer dough to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
Line a baking sheet with wax paper or a silicon mat. Pipe doughnut shapes onto the prepared pan. Freeze pan with dough for about 30 minutes to help with handling doughnuts.
Vegetable Oil (for frying)
Heat oil to 325 F in a large heavy bottomed pot. Transfer the chilled doughnuts to the oil, working in batches to avoid over-crowding the pot. Fry, flipping once, for about 4 minutes total. Use a spider or large slotted spoon to remove cooked doughnuts and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining dough.
Lemon Curd (for filling)
Blueberry Jam (for filling)
Chocolate Pastry Cream (for filling)
Vanilla Pastry Cream (for filling)
Powdered Sugar (to garnish)
Fill with your choice of flavors and garnish heavily with powdered sugar.
1. Don’t over boil the pate a choux mixture or else the water will evaporate and the ratio will be off.
2. Form the batter while it’s still warm; it will be easier to pipe.
3. Make sure to freeze the dough for 30 minutes so the crullers keep their shape while frying.
4. Fill the cruller in multiple places to ensure it is completely filled.