Carla Hall and Clinton Kelly's Stuffed Crullers
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 6 tablespoons Butter (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 4 Eggs
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- Powdered Sugar (to garnish)
- Lemon Curd (for filling)
- Blueberry Jam (for filling)
- Chocolate Pastry Cream (for filling)
- Vanilla Pastry Cream (for filling)
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the water, milk and butter in a medium sauce pot and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Once butter has melted completely, whisk in the flour mixture. Vigorously whisk the mixture until the dough begins to pull away from the pan. The pan should be lightly coated in cooked dough too.
- Turn dough out into a large bowl and beat to release steam. Once slightly cooled, whisk in eggs one at a time, incorporated fully between additions. Dough should have a nice glossy finish and be slightly sticky. Transfer dough to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper or a silicon mat. Pipe doughnut shapes onto the prepared pan. Freeze pan with dough for about 30 minutes to help with handling doughnuts.
- Heat oil to 325 F in a large heavy bottomed pot. Transfer the chilled doughnuts to the oil, working in batches to avoid over-crowding the pot. Fry, flipping once, for about 4 minutes total. Use a spider or large slotted spoon to remove cooked doughnuts and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Fill with your choice of flavors and garnish heavily with powdered sugar.