Chock-full of rice, corn, and jack cheese, these stuffed peppers work as a meal on their own.
Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- For the Peppers:
- 6 large Poblano Peppers
- 1 Red Onion (finely diced)
- 3 Garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1/2 cup Corn Kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 sprig fresh Oregano (leaves torn)
- 2 cups cooked Rice
- 1/3 cup Scallions (sliced thinly)
- 1/3 cup Cilantro (chopped; plus more for garnish)
- 1 1/2 cups Jack Cheese (shredded)
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream (plus more for garnish)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
For the Green Chili Sauce:
- 5 Tomatillos (husks removed and hulled)
- 2 Limes (juiced)
- 1 Avocado (skin and seeds removed)
- 1/2-1 Jalapeno
- 1/2 cup Cilantro
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- For the Peppers: Preheat the oven to broil. Place the poblano chilis on a sheet tray in an even layer and place under the broiler until charred, rotating until all sides are evenly black.
- Remove chilis from the oven and place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap or in a resealable bag. Allow to steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chilis from the bowl and rub all of the black skin off. Cut a slit lengthwise in each poblano. Remove and discard the seeds and ribs.
- Place a large saute pan over medium high heat and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the red onion and season with a large pinch of salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, retaining a bit of firmness to the onions. Toss in the garlic, cumin, oregano and corn and season with salt and pepper. Add the rice and quickly toss to coat and then pour out into a large bowl. Add the scallions, cilantro, jack cheese and sour cream. Stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350. Using a spoon, scoop some of the mixture (about 1/3 of a cup), into each pepper. Place the poblanos in a baking dish and put in the oven for 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
- For the Green Chili Sauce: Meanwhile, add all of the salsa ingredients to a blender and puree. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the peppers with a dollop of sour cream, some cilantro leaves and the green salsa.