Mushrooms with Pecorino, Basil, and Garlic
Colleen Kingeter's Stuffrooms
- 6 Jumbo Button Mushrooms
- Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
- Onion (diced)
- 4 cloves Garlic (smashed and minced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dried Basil
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flavored Breadcrumbs
- 1/3-1/2 cup Pecorino Cheese (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Italian Parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Chicken Stock (plus more as needed)
- Parmigiano Reggiano (shaved to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the stem from the mushrooms, and dig out the flesh from stem's base a to create a well for stuffing. Finely mince the stems and flesh from the mushrooms, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, add the onion with a pinch of salt and sauté until translucent, adding the garlic after two minutes. Add the dried herbs and sauté until they bloom, about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add the minced mushrooms so they brown a little. Toss together and season, cooking another minute or two, until mushrooms have softened, and then remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, pecorino, parsley, pepper, and a pinch of salt, and chicken stock. Add the breadcrumb mixture to the pan with the onions and mix everything together until thoroughly combined. Adjust the texture with more olive oil or chicken stock until the mixture has a stuffing consistency.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture, packing well and rounding off the top of the mushrooms with a spoon. Arrange the mushrooms on a lightly oiled baking sheet and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms are softened. Top with shaved parmigiano reggiano and drizzle with olive oil just before removing from oven to serve.
Similar categories: Appetizers, Starters & Snacks