A refreshing vegetable salad provides a welcome change to simple greens.
- step-by-step directions
- For the The Lady's Indian Succotash:
- 1 Ham Hock (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon House Seasoning (see below)
- 1/4 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) Frozen Green Butter Beans or Lima Beans (or 2 1/2 cups Fresh Green Butter Beans)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Hot Sauce (or other Hot Sauce)
- 4 slices Bacon (chopped)
- 1 package (16 ounces) Frozen Shoepeg Corn (or 1 1/2 cups fresh if you can get it)
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen Okra
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Chicken Bouillon Granules
- 4 Tomatoes (cut into chunks)
- 4 tablespoons Compound Butter
- For the House Seasoning (makes 1 1/2 cups):
- 1 cup Salt
- 1/4 cup freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Garlic Powder
- For the The Lady's Indian Succotash: Put the ham hock in a large stockpot with 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to a simmer, then add the House seasoning and seasoned salt. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Add water as needed (up to 2 cups) to keep the meat covered as it cooks. Remove the ham hock and reserve it for another purpose.
- Add the beans, 2 tablespoons of the butter, and the hot sauce and return to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook over low heat until the beans are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the beans from the pot and reserve the cooking liquid.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the corn, okra, cooked beans, and about 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid from the bean pot. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the parsley and chicken bouillon, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Throw in the tomatoes and the compound butter at the last minute. Simmer until the tomatoes are hot. The dish delivers with its beauty and flavor.
- For the House Seasoning (makes 1 1/2 cups): Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Peach Cobbler with Raspberry Coulis
Havarti and Horseradish Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Spicy Honey Dijon Coleslaw
Spice-Rubbed Smoked Chicken
Grilled Lamb Chops and Plums with Mint Pesto
Red Velvet Cannoli Cake
Grilled Soy Chicken Thighs with Honeydew Relish
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad