Paula Deen's Succotash
Bean Salad with Bacon
Succotash Recipe: A refreshing vegetable salad provides a welcome change to simple greens.
- For the The Lady's Indian Succotash:
- 1 Ham Hock (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon House Seasoning (see below)
- 1/4 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) Frozen Green Butter Beans or Lima Beans (or 2 1/2 cups Fresh Green Butter Beans)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Hot Sauce (or other Hot Sauce)
- 4 slices Bacon (chopped)
- 1 package (16 ounces) Frozen Shoepeg Corn (or 1 1/2 cups fresh if you can get it)
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen Okra
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Chicken Bouillon Granules
- 4 Tomatoes (cut into chunks)
- 4 tablespoons Compound Butter
- For the House Seasoning (makes 1 1/2 cups):
- 1 cup Salt
- 1/4 cup freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Garlic Powder
Dish of the Day: Paula Deen's Camp Menu - Part 1
1 Ham Hock (about 1/2 pound)
1/2 teaspoon House Seasoning (see below)
1/4 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
For the The Lady's Indian Succotash: Put the ham hock in a large stockpot with 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to a simmer, then add the House seasoning and seasoned salt. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Add water as needed (up to 2 cups) to keep the meat covered as it cooks. Remove the ham hock and reserve it for another purpose.
1 package (16 ounces) Frozen Green Butter Beans or Lima Beans (or 2 1/2 cups Fresh Green Butter Beans)
2 tablespoons Butter
1/2 teaspoon Hot Sauce (or other Hot Sauce)
Add the beans, 2 tablespoons of the butter, and the hot sauce and return to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook over low heat until the beans are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the beans from the pot and reserve the cooking liquid.
4 slices Bacon (chopped)
1 package (16 ounces) Frozen Shoepeg Corn (or 1 1/2 cups fresh if you can get it)
2 cups sliced fresh or frozen Okra
1/3 cup chopped fresh Parsley
1 teaspoon Chicken Bouillon Granules
In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the corn, okra, cooked beans, and about 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid from the bean pot. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the parsley and chicken bouillon, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
4 Tomatoes (cut into chunks)
4 tablespoons Compound Butter
Throw in the tomatoes and the compound butter at the last minute. Simmer until the tomatoes are hot. The dish delivers with its beauty and flavor.
1 cup Salt
1/4 cup freshly ground Black Pepper
1/4 cup Garlic Powder
For the House Seasoning (makes 1 1/2 cups): Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.