Vegetables in Parchment
Mario Batali's Summer Vegetables in Cartoccio
- 1 1/2 cups Haricots Verts (root end trimmed)
- 2 Corn Cobs (cut into 1/2-inch wheels)
- 1 1/2 cups Baby Yukon Potatoes (cut in half)
- 1 cup Broccoli (florets cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 Yellow Squash (cut in half lengthwise then sliced into 1/4-inch thick half moons)
- 5 Scallions (cut into 1-inch lengths)
- 1 1/2 cups American Country Ham (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 Jalapeno (sliced)
- 2 Garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 6 Parsley sprigs (roughly chopped)
- 6 Thyme sprigs
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
- 1/3 cup White Wine
- 1/2 cup Basil (chopped)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Warm Crusty Bread (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Toss the first 11 ingredients in a bowl and dress lightly with olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper.
- Spread five 24" by 12" rectangular sheets of parchment paper on the counter. Divide the vegetables in a low pile centered on half of the paper and top with the herbs. Drizzle with the wine. Fold the other half of the paper over and fold and crumple the edges together to form a tight seal. Drizzle the packets with olive oil.
- Place the packet on a cookie sheet and bake until the vegetables are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve the vegetables in their baking paper, cutting an "X" in the top at the table. Garnish with a bit of basil and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with the bread.