An American classic with a Vietnamese twist
Michael Symon's Banh Mi Sliders
- FOR BRISKET:
- 3 lb brisket
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 2 gloves garlic (smashed)
- 1 serrano chile (split)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 bottle light beer to cover 3/4 way up the sides
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
FOR QUICK PICKLES:
- 2 carrots (julienned)
- 1 bunch radishes (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
FOR CHILE MAYO:
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 16 soft slider buns
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch mint leaves
- 1 European cucumber (sliced thinly)
- 2 scallions, sliced on the bias 1/4-inch thick
- Season the brisket with salt, pepper and add to the pan. Sear on both sides until brown, about 3 minutes per side. Add to the slow cooker and add remaining brisket ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- For the pickles: Heat vinegar and sugar together until sugar is dissolved and pour over radishes and carrots. Set aside to cool.
- For the mayo: Combine the mayonnaise and Sriracha and set aside.
- To assemble sliders: Spread mayonnaise (made above) on half of the bun and top with shredded brisket. Add two slices of cucumber, 2 tablespoons of the pickled vegetable, cilantro, mint, and scallions to taste. Top with remaining half of bun and enjoy!