You can never go wrong with Swedish Meatballs!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 1/2 cup bread (crust removed, finely diced)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups onion (peeled, finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons parsley (chopped, divided)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a small bowl, pour the milk over the bread and set aside to soak.
- Place a saute pan over medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt and sweat for about 3 minutes. Remove to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Add the ground chuck, ground pork, eggs yolks, egg, 3 tablespoons of the parsley, pepper, allspice, and nutmeg. Season with salt. Squeeze the milk from the bread, discarding the liquid and add the bread to the meat mixture. Mix until all ingredients are just incorporated.
- Scoop your meatballs into 3 tablespoon balls. Set aside on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. When all of the meatballs are rolled, set them aside while you heat up a pan.
- Heat a large saute pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place the meatballs in the pan in a single layer to sear them, about 6-7 minutes total. You might need to do this in 2-3 batches, removing the meatballs to a baking sheet as they brown.
- Place the same saute pan with the oil and browned bits from the meatballs over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk until incorporated. Next whisk in the beef broth. Bring this mixture up to a boil, and then reduce to a a simmer. Next add the cream and season with some freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat and whisk in the sour cream and the other 3 tablespoons of parsley.
- Place meatballs with sauce in a serving dish and serve over your favorite accompaniment.
- Tip: If you are short on time, sear the outside of the meatballs, remove to a baking sheet and place in a 350ºF oven for 10 minutes to finish cooking.
Similar categories: Beef Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Courses & Meals Appetizers, Starters & Snacks