The 50's are back, so put on your apron and whip up a batch of these delicious meatballs.
- 1 1/2 cup Bread (crust removed and diced finely)
1/2 Cup Milk
1 1/2 Cup Onion (finely chopped)
2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
4 tablespoon Flour
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 pound Ground Chuck
1 pound Ground Pork
2 Large Egg
- In a small bowl, pour the milk over the bread and set aside to soak.
- Place a saute pan over medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt and sweat for about 3 minutes. Pour into a large mixing bowl to cool.
- After a few minutes when the onion mixture has cooled slightly, add meats, the eggs yolks and egg, 3 tablespoons of the parsley and the spices. Season with freshly ground black pepper and 2 teaspoons of salt. Next squeeze the milk from the bread, discarding the liquid and add the bread to the meat mixture. You only want the soaked bread here. Mix until all ingredients are just incorporated.
- Form your meatballs any size you would like. Traditionally these meatballs are formed a little on the smaller side, about 3 tablespoons each. When all of the meatballs are rolled, set them aside while you heat up a pan.
- Heat a large saute pan or dutch oven over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Place the meatballs in the pan in a single layer to sear them. You might need to do this in 2-3 batches, removing the meatballs to a baking sheet as they brown. If the meatballs need to cook more (and you're tight on time) place them in a 350F oven for 10 minutes. While the meatballs are finishing cooking, make your sauce.
- Place that same pan over medium high heat (with meatballs if you're not finishing them in oven). Add the flour and whisk until incorporated. Next whisk in the beef broth. Bring this mixture up to a boil, and then reduce to a a simmer. Next add the cream and season with some freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat and whisk in the sour cream and the other 3 tablespoon of parsley.
- Place meatballs with sauce in a serving dish and serve over your favorite accompaniment.