Carla Hall's Sweet Potato Tarte Tatin
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cut into pats)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- pinch of Salt
- 1 piece Puff Pastry (store bought)
- 1 cup Mascarpone
- 1/2 cup Confectioner's Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Place sweet potatoes in a microwave and cook for 6 minutes on high. Allow to cool slightly before removing. Carefully peel the sweet potatoes and cut in half lengthwise. Then cut 1/4-inch thick slices crosswise. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium. Sprinkle in the sugar to coat the bottom of the pan. Allow sugar to cook for 1 minute over heat until it starts to turn golden. Gently swirl the pan so the raw sugar begins to cook. Once the sugar has melted and is caramel in color, about 3 minutes total, add the pats of butter quickly. Swirl the pan again to incorporate butter. Sprinkle in cinnamon and salt. Remove pan from heat and begin to add the sweet potatoes.
- Use an offset spatula to lift each sweet potato half at once. Place along edge of pan and press gently to spread layers into a close shingle. Repeat with remaining sweet potato to form concentric circles of shingled sweet potato. Lay puff pastry over pan tucking edges into pan.
- Place skillet into oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until puff pastry is golden brown. Meanwhile, whip together the mascarpone and confectioner's sugar until fully combined.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. carefully place large plate or platter upside down over pan making sure it covers pan completely. Flip pan and plate and place plate on counter. Carefully remove pan to reveal tarte. Serve with sweetened mascarpone.
Similar categories: Desserts