Gravy isn't just for dinner. It's great with breakfast also. Just try this sweet southern recipe.
Sweet Sausage Gravy
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 pound Uncooked Sweet Italian Bulk Sausage
- 1/2 Medium Onion
- 1/2 Medium Red Bell Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Milk
- 1 Juice of Lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook it, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon, until nearly cooked through and thoroughly broken up, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the mixture is soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir until the flour is absorbed
- Add the milk and cook, stirring, to break up any lumps in the flour and keep the sausage from burning. When the milk simmers, cook, stirring, until the gravy boils.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook for several minutes longer, stirring, until the gravy thickens. Stir in the cheese and parsley and serve.