What goes best with an all-american burger? Pickles! Especially Rachael Ray's version!
Rachael Ray's Sweet and Spicy Pickles
- 2 Cups White Balsamic or Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 4 Kirby Cucumbers (sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 Large Clove of Garlic
- 1/2 Small Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 Small Fresh Red Chile (sliced)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seed
- 1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns
- 2-3 Sprigs Fresh Dill
- Bring the vinegar, 2/3 cup water, the sugar, salt, and garlic to a low boil in a saucepan, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Reduce the heat to low.
- Layer the onion, cucumbers, chile, bay leaves, dill, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, and peppercorns into a plastic or glass container in which they fit snugly.
- Pour the hot brine (made in step one) over the cucumber mixture (made above), cover tightly, and refrigerate 24 hours or several days, turning occasionally. The pickles will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Makes about 2 cups, or about 80 slices. Serve with "Smoke and Fireworks" Bacon-Wrapped Chipotle Burgers.