A veggie burger that will make any meat eater swoon!
Daphne Oz's Tempura Mushroom Burger
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups portabello stems (minced)
- 2 shallots (minced)
- 8 portabello caps
- 16 toothpicks
- 4 onion brioche buns
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Tempura Batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup seltzer
- 3 egg whites (stiffly beaten)
- Garlic Tarragon Aoili:
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place mushroom caps (stems removed) on a baking sheet and put in oven for 12-15 minutes until soft. This helps take moisture out of the mushroom for a better fry. Remove mushrooms from oven and pat dry excess moisture.
- In a medium saute pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add stems and shallots. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Cool mixture and set aside.
- Make tempura batter: Combine dry ingredients. Fold in stiff egg whites and then seltzer.
- Fill each portabello mushroom cap with mushroom stem mixture. Make a sandwich with another cap, secure with toothpicks. Dip in tempura batter, fry in oil at about 360F.
- Assemble: Place fried mushroom cap on toasted onion bun with aioli and eat 'em up!