Apple Cranberry Hand Pies
Apple Hand Pies with Greek Yogurt Sauce
- step-by-step directions
Apple Cranberry Hand Pies
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter (cubed)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 Local apples (cored and 1/4-inch diced)
- 1/4 cup dark brown ugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- cinnamon sugar (granulated sugar and cinnamon)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons honey
- For the Dough: In a large bowl, combine flour and salt and whisk together. Knead in cubed butter with a pastry cutter, forks or by hand until butter is pea-sized. Drizzle in honey and a tablespoon of water and knead together. Add one tablespoon of water at a time kneading in between additions until dough comes together (you may not use all of the water depending on your conditions). Turn out on to a large piece of plastic wrap and shape into a disc. Wrap and chill for at least and hour and up to 2 days.
- For the Filling: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute apples to release juices and caramelize.
- Add sugar, vinegar, cranberries and spices and continue to cook for about 5 minutes until apples are soft and cranberries are plump. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 4 inch squares. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling into the center of each dough. Brush the edges with the egg wash and then fold the dough over to create a rectangle and seal edges with a fork. Using a sharp paring knife cut vents in the top of each hand pie.
- Brush the tops of the pies with the egg wash as well and then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Arrange hand pies onto the prepared baking sheet leaving 2 inches between each pie to ensure even cooking.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, stir together yogurt, cardamom and honey until incorporated. Serve hand pies warm with spiced yogurt.
Braised Lamb with Spring Vegetables
Peas and Carrots with Polenta
Asparagus & Cheese Tart
Spinach & Artichoke Puffs
Roast Chicken with Lemon-Sage Pan Sauce
Lemon-Sage Compound Butter
Grilled Veggie Burrito with Quinoa
Kale Pesto Naan Pizza
Almond Banana Bread
Carrot Ginger Soup
Shrimp and Plantains in Spicy Tomato Sauce