Apple Cranberry Hand Pies
Apple Hand Pies with Greek Yogurt Sauce
- step-by-step directions
Apple Cranberry Hand Pies
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter (cubed)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 Local apples (cored and 1/4-inch diced)
- 1/4 cup dark brown ugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- cinnamon sugar (granulated sugar and cinnamon)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons honey
- For the Dough: In a large bowl, combine flour and salt and whisk together. Knead in cubed butter with a pastry cutter, forks or by hand until butter is pea-sized. Drizzle in honey and a tablespoon of water and knead together. Add one tablespoon of water at a time kneading in between additions until dough comes together (you may not use all of the water depending on your conditions). Turn out on to a large piece of plastic wrap and shape into a disc. Wrap and chill for at least and hour and up to 2 days.
- For the Filling: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute apples to release juices and caramelize.
- Add sugar, vinegar, cranberries and spices and continue to cook for about 5 minutes until apples are soft and cranberries are plump. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 4 inch squares. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling into the center of each dough. Brush the edges with the egg wash and then fold the dough over to create a rectangle and seal edges with a fork. Using a sharp paring knife cut vents in the top of each hand pie.
- Brush the tops of the pies with the egg wash as well and then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Arrange hand pies onto the prepared baking sheet leaving 2 inches between each pie to ensure even cooking.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, stir together yogurt, cardamom and honey until incorporated. Serve hand pies warm with spiced yogurt.
Molasses Glazed Ham with Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits
Chocolate Peppermint Marshmallows
Peppermint Chocolate Torte
Fried Meatballs Stuffed with Mozzarella
Gingerbread Man Cookie Sandwiches
Perfectly Spiced Roast Chicken
Classic Holiday Brisket
5 Ingredient Crinkle Cookies
Polenta with Sausage Ragu and Fresh Mozzarella