Apple Hand Pies with Greek Yogurt Sauce
Daphne and Michael's Apple Cranberry Hand Pies
- For the Dough:
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 4 tablespoons Cold Butter (cubed)
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 3/4 cup Cold Water
For the Filling:
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 2 Local Apples (cored and 1/4-inch diced)
- 1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
For the Egg Wash:
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Water
- Cinnamon Sugar (Granulated Sugae and Cinnamon)
For the Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- For the Dough: In a large bowl combine flour and salt and whisk together. Knead in cubed butter with a pastry cutter, forks, or by hand until butter is pea-sized. Drizzle in honey and a tablespoon of water and knead together. Add one tablespoon of water at a time kneading in between additions until dough comes together (you may not use all of the water depending on your conditions). Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap and shape into a disc. Wrap and chill for at least and hour and up to 2 days. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with a piece of parchment.
- For the Filling: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute apples to release juices and caramelize. Add sugar, vinegar, cranberries, and spices and continue to cook for about 5 minutes until apples are soft and cranberries are plump. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- For the Egg Wash: Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness and cut into 4-inch squares. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling into the center of each piece of dough. Brush the edges with the egg wash and then fold the dough over to create a rectangle and seal edges with a fork. Using a sharp paring knife, cut vents in the top of each hand pie. Brush the tops of the pies with the egg wash, as well, and then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.
- Arrange hand pies on the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each pie to ensure even cooking. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crust is golden and crisp.
- For the Yogurt Sauce: Meanwhile, stir together yogurt, cardamom and honey until incorporated. Serve hand pies warm with spiced yogurt.