Simple Butternut Squash Pasta
Derek's Butternut Squash Pasta
- 1 butternut squash (cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 1 Spanish onion (small diced)
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup smoked mozzarella (grated)
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts (toasted)
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs (large)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chili flake plus more to taste
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the butternut squash with 4 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook in the oven for about 40 minutes, or until a knife easily pierces through the squash. Remove squash from the oven.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season generously with salt.
- Cook pasta 1 minute less than the packaged instructions.
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, toss in the onion. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of chili flake.
- Once the onions are soft, add the butternut squash, the hazelnuts and about 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Add the butter and swirl the pan to emulsify. Once the mixture has reduced into a creamy sauce, add the pasta.
- Off the heat, toss in the smoked mozzarella.
- Drizzle in olive oil and toss to coat evenly.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the parsley, bread crumbs and Parmigiano. Add more chili flake if you like spice.
- Plate and top with the bread crumb mixture.