Potatoes with garlic and vermouth
Mario Batali's Caramelized Garlic with Potatoes
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled)
- Kosher Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 20 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup Sweet Vermouth
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold water by at least an inch. Bring the pot to a boil and season generously with salt. Cook the potatoes until a knife easily pierces through the potatoes. Strain.
- In a small saute pan over medium heat, add about 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Caramelize the garlic until the cloves reach a deep golden color. Remove the garlic from the pan and deglaze with Vermouth.
- Working in batches, add the potatoes to a food mill. Once all the potatoes are milled, toss in the garlic and the deglazed Vermouth. Stir in about 1 cup olive oil and stir until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Adjust seasoning and serve while still hot.