A Sweet Ending to Thanksgiving
Carla Hall's Apple and Sweet Potato Tart with Brandy Pecan Glaze
- 4 tart apples (peeled cored and quartered)
- 2 sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into pieces the same size as the apples)
- 1 flaky butter crust
- ½ cup Brandy
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Lime zest and juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans (toasted)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the brandy pecan glaze: Pour the brandy in a small pot and
reduce by half. Add the lime zest, lime juice, maple syrup, butter and salt
to taste. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 – 7
minutes. Add in pecans. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a 9” skillet to medium high heat. While
searing the apples and sweet potatoes, place them alternately in the pan
so they are squeezed tightly together. Pour ½ the syrup over.
- Prepare crust by rolling it out 1/8 inch thick. Place crust on top of apples
and sweet potatoes and tuck edges into the pan. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes
or until crust is golden brown and apples and potatoes are soft enough for
a toothpick to be inserted easily.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool off a bit. Place a serving dish on top
of pan, and carefully flip over. Crust will be on the bottom.
- Serve warm with remaining sauce and vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!