Turkey Pot Pie
Carla's pot pie is tasty and filling way to make use of your leftover turkey!
- step-by-step directions
Turkey Pot Pie
- For the Pie Crust
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pound cold unsalted butter (cut into 1/2" cubes)
For the Turkey Filling
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 medium carrots (cut into 1/2" half moons)
- 2 celery ribs (halved lengthwise and cut on the bias into 1/2" thick pieces)
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprigs rosemary
- 1 leaves sage
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 oz butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 quart turkey/chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups cooked dark turkey meat (pulled in bite-size pieces)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- For the Pie Crust:
- Chill bowl and paddle of kitchen aide standing mixer. Dissolve salt and sugar into water. Chill.
- Toss butter pieces in flour and toss to coat. With the mixer on low, cut butter into flour. Pour water into mixer all at once. Increase speed to medium and mix until a dough is formed. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll the dough out 1/4" thick. Place the first half on a parchment covered sheet pan and bake for 15 – 18 minutes in a 375°F oven until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Reserve the second half for the top crust of the pot pie.
- For the Turkey Filling:
- In a 8-quart pot, heat 3 tablespoons canola oil. Sauté the onions, carrots, and celery with the thyme, rosemary and sage for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool on a sheet pan. Remove herb stems.
- In the same pot, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Gradually pour in chicken/turkey stock, and whisking to stay smooth. Add bay leaves and heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir in vegetable mixture, turkey and peas. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool. This step may be done ahead.
- In a large casserole dish, place cooked crust on bottom. Pour turkey filling on top. Place raw crust on top and crimp edges around dish. Brush with eggwash and bake in 375°F oven until bubbling and golden brown.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Courses & Meals Dinner Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel
Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice) with Chicken
Orecchiette with Sweet Sausage and Rapini
Lemon Coconut Sugar Cookies
Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto
Fried Green Tomato and Pimento Cheese Pizza
Bacon and Cheddar Pierogies
Spring Chicken Stew
Veggie Fried Rice with Oyster Mushrooms
Salmon Burger with Dill and Cucumber