Delicious Gravy with a Kick
Carla Hall's Turkey Sausage and Butternut Squash Gravy with Sage
- 1 Lb turkey sausage
1 Cup 1/4 diced butternut squash
1/4 Cup all purpose flour
2 sage leaves (torn)
1/2 Teaspoon chile flakes
2 Cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
2 Cup flour
4 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Combine dry ingredients. Cut shortening into dry ingredients with fingertips or in food processor (quick pulses), then cut butter into dry mixtureusing the same method.
- Combine wet ingredients. Make a well into the dry ingredients, and pour wet mixture in. Using wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir until just combined.
- Drop tablespoonfuls onto greased or parchment covered sheetpan 2” apart. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Heat large skillet to medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Crumble and add sausage and cook until browned. Move sausage to one side and add butternut squash. Cook until browned.
- Combine the two, then add flour, sage and chile flakes. Stir until dissolved. Gradually stir in milk. Cook gravy until thick and bubbly. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot over biscuits. Refrigerate leftovers.