A Delicious Dessert Perfect for Choco-holics!
Carla Hall's Choco-holic Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (such as Droste)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1/2 cup melted white chocolate
- Arrange the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make the cakes: Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. You can add additional spices like cinnamon if you wish.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the egg and milk and beat at medium speed until incorporated. At low speed, add the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the milk, mixing until just blended.
- Using a half-tablespoon measure, drop 18 generous teaspoons of batter onto each sheet, leaving about 2 inches between cakes. Bake the 2 sheets at the same time, 5 to 7 minutes, until springy to touch. Let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, and transfer to racks to cool completely. Change the parchment and repeat using the remaining batter (72 cakes in total).
- Make filling: Beat the butter and powdered sugar at low speed until blended and then beat at high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla and mascarpone and mix at low speed until blended, about 1 minute. Slowly mix in cooled melted white chocolate.
- Match pairs of cake with the same shapes and spread the bottom side of 1 cake with filling or use a piping bag and sandwich together with the other cake. (Store the finished whoopee pies in a covered plastic container and chill for up to 3 days.)