Turkey Stuffed with Chorizo in Garlic-Butter Sauce
Michael Symon's Chorizo Stuffed Turkey
- For the Turkey:
- 1 12- pound Turkey (reserve the neck and gizzards)
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 2 pounds Chorizo (removed from casing)
- 1 1/2 medium Yellow Onions (peeled and halved; reserve one half for the cheese cloth)
- 6 Garlic Cloves (peeled)
- 1 1/2 Lemons (halved; reserve one half for the cheese cloth)
- 1/2 Fennel Bulb
- 10 sprigs of Oregano
- 1/2 bunch of Parsley
For the Cheese Cloth Dip:
- 1/4 cup Chicken Stock (or turkey stock if you have; or water)
- 1 stick of Butter
- 1/2 head of Garlic, peeled
- 1/2 medium Yellow Onion
- 1/2 Fennel Bulb
- 5 sprigs Oregano
- 1/2 Lemon
- Cheese Cloth
- For the Turkey: The day before, rinse the turkey inside and out with cold water. Pat dry. Put turkey on a clean, large cloth and rub both the inside and outside generously with salt. Put the turkey in a container that fits comfortably, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge.
- The next day, rinse the turkey and pat dry. Remove turkey 1 to 2 hours prior to roasting, so it can come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, with the oven rack set on the lowest rung.
- Put the chorizo in a piping bag and carefully pipe it under the skin of the breast in an even layer. Tuck the onion, garlic, lemon, fennel, oregano, and parsley into the cavity of the turkey. Put the turkey on a roasting rack, breast side up.
- For the Cheese Cloth Dip: In a small pot, bring chicken stock and butter to a simmer. Add all the ingredients for the cheese cloth dip and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and reduce for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Once cool enough to handle, soak a double layer of cheese cloth big enough to cover the bird in the butter mixture and drape over the breast and legs of the turkey. Pour the remaining contents of the pan over the bird, pushing the pieces of vegetables and herbs into the bottom of the roasting pan. Add the neck and gizzards as well.
- Place the turkey in the oven and roast for 45 minutes. Turn the temperature down to 375 degrees F and continue roasting for another 10-15 minutes per pound. Remove the cheesecloth in the final 10 minutes if you would like more browning. Cook until an instant read thermometer reads 160 degrees F (inserted at the thickest part of the thigh).
- Allow turkey to rest for a minimum of 20-30 minutes.
- Degrease the remaining pan juices and serve them alongside the turkey meat.
Similar categories: Dinner