Whip up this treat in a flash!
Clinton Kelly's Ginger Pear Trifle
- FOR THE PEAR & CRANBERRY COMPOTES:
- 1 - 1/2 pound pears (about 4- peeled and chopped)
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- FOR THE GINGER VANILLA CUSTARD:
- 3 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 8 Large egg yolks
- 3/4 - 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 - 1/3 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 - 2/3 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE LADY FINGERS:
- 1 package Lady Finger Cookies
- Pear Brandy
- FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 - 2 1/2 cup heavy cream chilled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon granulated sugar
- FOR THE ASSEMBLY:
- 1/2 cup toated pecans
- 2 tablespoon ginger chews
- FOR THE LADY FINGERS: Soak cookies in pear brandy until soft.
- FOR THE PEAR AND CRANBERRY COMPOTES: In a skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add 1 -1/2 pounds pears and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons water to the pan, remove it from the heat, and stir to incorporate some of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- In another saute pan, add half (3/4 cup) cranberries, ½ cup maple syrup, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, a pinch of salt, and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, lower the heat to medium low, and simmer until the syrup has thickened a little and most of the cranberries have popped, about 2 minutes. Add the other half (3/4 cup) cranberries and simmer until about half of the new cranberries have popped, 2 to 3 minutes more. Take the pan off the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons ginger. Let cool to room temperature. Keep pears and cranberries seperate; they will be layered seperately.
- FOR THE GINGER VANILLA CUSTARD: Heat the milk in the saucepan over medium-high heat with the ginger until it's warm. Set it aside until it's cool enough to touch, but still warm. In mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla and sugar until smooth and thick. Whisk in the flour and salt. Slowly pour in the warm milk while whisking the egg-sugar mixture constantly. Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly with your spoon so the bottom doesn't scorch. It will quickly start to thicken to the consistency of pudding. Continue stirring for 1-2 minutes longer. Set the strainer over a clean bowl and strain the pastry cream to get out any lumps. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the pastry cream and refrigerate until you're ready to use it.
- FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM: Using a chilled bowl and beaters, whip 2 – 2 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla with a hand-held or stand mixer on medium speed until it begins to thicken, about 1 minute. Slowly sprinkle 4 tablespoons sugar and continue whipping until soft peaks form, another 1 to 2 minutes.
- ASSEMBLE THE TRIFLE: Layer the the lady fingers, followed by the ginger vanilla pastry cream, cranberries, pears, whipped cream, and repeat layers in this order. Top with toasted pecans and ginger chews.