Savory Corn Bread Muffins
Carla and Daphne's Corn Bread and Sausage Muffins
- 4 cups prepared Cornbread (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 pounds crumbled Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup Scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup Celery Ribs (small diced)
- 1 cup Red Onion (small diced)
- 1/2 cup Red Pepper (small diced)
- 1 cup Swanson's Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1 large Egg (beaten)
- 2 teaspoons fresh Sage (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Poultry Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Have the cornbread in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and add the crumbled sausage. Once the sausage has browned, remove it with a slotted spoon to the bowl of cornbread.
- Add the butter to the pan and then toss in the onions, scallions, celery and red pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the bowl. Then, add the chicken stock, the seasonings, milk, and egg. Mix lightly to combine.
- Butter the muffin tins and then spoon the cornbread into them. Compress the muffins and then add more stuffing on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until just lightly browned. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from tins.