Dig into this great stuffing!
Daisy's Thanksgiving Cornbread Stuffing
- For the Stuffing:
- 1 Cornbread (crumbled fine)
- 1 cup Butter (2 sticks cut into slices and room temperature)
- 1/2 bag Unseasoned Crumbled Stuffing Bread
- Turkey Mixture
- 2 teaspoons Poultry Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Seasoning Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup Turkey Broth if needed
For the Cornbread:
- 1 1/2 cups White Cornmeal
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup Milk plus more if needed
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
For the Gravy:
- 3 tablespoons Turkey drippings
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Turkey Stock:
- 3 cups Water
- 1 Turkey Neck
- 1 Turkey Liver
- 1 Turkey Giblets
- 2 Celery Ribs (stringy parts removed and chopped)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- For the Turkey Stock: Combine ingredients in a medium sauce pot, water should just cover the mixture. Cook over medium heat until turkey meat is fork tender. Strain out turkey parts and vegetables keeping separate.
- Remove meat from turkey neck and giblets and pulse with the liver in a food processor until pea-sized.
- For the Gravy: In a skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Once melted whisk in flour and continue to stir and cook to achieve a nice golden color. Stir in soy sauce to season and darken the color. Slowly whisk in water until you reach your desired consistency. Finish by whisking in salt, pepper and butter.
- For the Cornbread: Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, egg and oil until combined. Mixture should be the consistency of a loose drop biscuit.
- Heat an 8-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat with olive oil. Once hot pour in batter and allow to cook on one side until golden around the edges, about 8 minutes. Using a spatula, loosen edges and flip to cook on second side. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until cooked a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- For the Stuffing: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepared a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray or lightly with butter.
- Working in a large bowl, combine warm crumbled cornbread, crumbled stuffing bread and butter to melt together.
- Add the pulsed turkey mixture and turkey stock vegetables, poultry seasoning, seasoning salt and garlic powder.
- Slowly pour in half of the turkey stock and mix. Once combined start to slowly add more liquid until mixture is wet but not soggy.
- Stir in beaten egg to combine. Transfer to a prepared baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove cover and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with gravy.