Creamy Spinach with Garlic and Onion
Clinton Kelly's Creamed Spinach
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds Fresh Spinach
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup Butter (1 stick)
- 1 minced Garlic Clove
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
- 2 dashes Hot Sauce
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Season generously with salt. Blanch the spinach for about 1-2 minutes, or until tender. Place in a fine mesh strainer, pressing to release all the liquid. Chop the spinach and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat milk and cream until it's hot, but not boiling.
- In a separate saucepan, saute the onion in butter until translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and continue sauteing one more minute. Add the flour and whisk until the roux is light golden in color. Slowly whisk in the warmed milk and cream. When fully incorporated, add the nutmeg, hot sauce, spinach and salt and pepper to taste.