A deliciously creamy comfort food.
Daphne Oz's Chestnut Soup
- 3 cups chopped chestnuts (canned or fresh) peeled
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium leek or 2 shallots (white and light-green parts only) rinsed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme plus more for garnish
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- Make a bouquet garni by wrapping thyme, bay leaves, a parsley in cheesecloth.
- Melt butter and sauté leek, carrots, onions, and celery until translucent, covering to soften, approximately 15 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with wine.
- Transfer to a large saucepan or soup pot (4-quart) and add vegetable or low-sodium chicken broth, bouquet garni, and cover; simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove bouquet garni.
- Add cooked chestnuts and cover, allowing to soften for 10 minutes.
- Stir in milk, salt, and pepper.
- Allow to cool before pureeing in a blender in small batches and strain through a cheesecloth to remove any shells or large pieces.
- Reheat pureed soup over medium heat before serving with a garnish of fresh thyme.