Green Bean Casserole
Daphne's all-time favorite Thanksgiving dish!
- step-by-step directions
Green Bean Casserole
- 1 pound Fresh green beans (washed/trimmed/cut in half)
- 2 cups Sliced cremini or baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 1/2 cup Pearl onions (fresh or frozen)
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 4 tablespoons All-purpose flour
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Fresh oregano (chopped)
- 2 cups Chicken stock (low-sodium)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Potato chips (crushed)
- 1/4 cup Slivered almonds
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Wash green beans, trim off the ends & chop in half.
- Dunk green beans in pot of boiling, salted water for about 90 seconds. They should turn bright green and be slightly tender. Drain the beans and immediately dunk them in a bowl of salted ice water to stop them from cooking.
- Slice up mushrooms, de-thaw your pearl onions, mince the garlic and herbs.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter & add mushrooms and a pinch of salt.
- Cook for about 5 mins until the mushrooms start to break down and release their liquid. Then add garlic, pepper flakes, half and half, and herbs. Stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add flour to pot, stir, and cook for another minute to cook out the flour flavor.
- Stir in chicken stock in small batches. Don’t just add it all at once. Stir it constantly as you add the stock so it stays creamy and doesn’t get lumpy. If it’s too thick, add more stock or water. If it’s too thin, just simmer for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Add green beans and pearl onions and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with Parmesan, crushed potato chips, and slivered almonds.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 mins until the top if nicely browned.
- Let cool for a few minutes and serve immediately.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Sides Christmas Other Side Dishes
Double Decker Buffalo Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Spring Orzo Salad
Swiss Chard and Feta Turnovers
Donut Puffs with Coffee Mousse
Mint Salsa Verde Glazed Smoked Ham
Mint Salsa Verde
Green Bloody Mary with Mint Salsa Verde
Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Pork Sparerib Tortelloni with BBQ Butter Sauce
Chicken and Cornmeal Dumplings in Tomatoes
Lightened Up Squash Mac and Cheese
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad