A simple vegetarian side dish!
Daphne Oz's Mushroom & Vegetable Stuffing
- 1/2 Loaf Multigrain Bread (torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 3/4 cup Walnuts (coarsely chopped)
- 1 Shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 Celery Stalk (thinly chopped)
- 1/2 pound Shitake Mushrooms (chopped and stems removed)
- 1 Bunch Kale (cut into ribbons and stems removed)
- 1 Granny Smith Apple (cored and diced)
- 1/3 cup Parsley Leaves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme Leaves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Sage Leaves (minced)
- 1 Clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Vegetable Broth (approximately 2 cups)
- In an oven preheated to 400F, bake the torn bread until crunchy, about 10 minutes.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, celery, mushrooms, and kale. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally, and add the apple once the shallot has softened. Once the apple has softened, about 5 minutes, add the garlic, thyme, parsley, and sage. Cook for about a minute, until fragrant, then remove from heat, and mix in walnuts and bread.
- Add vegetable broth until moist but not soggy (approximately 2 cups). Cover with foil and bake at 400F for 25 minutes, remove foil, and bake an additional 10 minutes, and serve. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Tip: To use as stuffing in a turkey, use less broth.