This veggie dish is fresh, delicious and an excellent source of vegetables during the holiday.
Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy
- 3/4 cup mushrooms (shitake/oyster/chanterelle/portabello/button) chopped
- 1 small yellow or white onion (minced)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 cup flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and add onion and mushrooms. Sauté for just a minute or two over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add vegetable broth, wine and soy sauce.
- Slowly add flour, stirring well to combine and prevent lumps from forming. Bring to a simmer or a low boil, and then reduce heat.
- Add seasonings, salt and pepper. Allow to cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until gravy thickens.