A gourmet indulgence
Mario Batali's Roasted Pears With Chocolate
- 6 Anjou or other firm pears peeled but stems left intact
- 1 cup Marsala wine or dry sherry
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 Cup honey
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter plus extra for greasing (at room temperature)
- 2 large eggs (separated)
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- For the pears: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a sauté pan just large enough to hold the pears upright.
- Cut a tiny slice off the bottom of each pear to make it stand upright, then place them in the sauté pan. Add the vin santo, honey, cinnamon and water and bake the pears for one hour, or until tender, basting 3 to 4 times with the pan juices.
- Remove from the oven and set aside until ready to serve. (The pears can be made several hours ahead and kept at room temperature.)
- For the chocolate sauce: In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk the egg yolks into the chocolate until well mixed. The sauce should be used immediately, as it can harden.
- Place 1 pear on each of the six dessert plates, top with chocolate sauce and dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.