A creamy taste of the season.
Roasted Pumpkin with Fontina Fonduta
- 3 pound Pumpkin or Hubbard Squash
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces Fontina Val d’Asota cheese grated
- 4 tablespoon freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- pumpkin seeds rinsed and dried
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Peel the pumpkin and remove the seeds. Cut the pumpkin into 2-inch cubes and place them in the mixing bowl. Add the oil, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste, and toss to mix well. Place the pumpkin pieces in the saute pan, and pan roast on the stove until golden brown and tender (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan over the low heat, and whisk in flour until well blended. Slowly add the milk, whisking until the mixture thickens slightly. Then add the nutmeg, Fontina, and 2-Tablespoons of the Parmigiano, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, cover the pan slightly with plastic wrap, and keep in warm place until ready to serve.
- In a small saute pan add the pumpkin seeds with some extra virgin olive oil and cumin. Pan roast until seeds are crunchy and golden brown.
- To serve, spoon the fonduta into a warmed platter, and then arrange the pumpkin pieces over it. Grind fresh pepper over the pumpkin, sprinkle with the remaining 2-Tablespoons Parmigiano and serve.