Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
Need a way to change up the traditional pumpkin pie? Add some chocolate!
- step-by-step directions
Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
- 1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter (very cold and cut into small pieces)
- 2-3 tablespoons Ice Cold Water
- 3 oz Bittersweet Chocolate (very finely chopped)
- 6 oz Semisweet Chocolate (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1 14 oz Can Pumpkin
- 1 12 oz Can Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 cup Packed Light-Brown Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Pinch of Ground Cloves
- For the Pie Crust: Combine the flour, salt, sugar and butter in a food processor and pulse until coarse, with small marbles of butter remaining. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the ice water and pulse until crumbly, and dough holds when squeezed together. Add another sprinkle of water if too dry, but do not overmix.
- Transfer dough to a plastic bag, press into a disk, and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Roll out dough on floured surface. Press into pie plate, trim to leave 1-inch excess around edges, fold under and flute edges. Cut a piece of parchment or nonstick foil to the size of the pie, and use to line pie crust. Fill with pie weights, and bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325F.
- For the Pie Filling: In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter, stirring frequently until smooth, and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, light brown sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Fold in the chocolate mixture, and pour into pie crust. Place pie pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 325F until center of pie has set, about an hour. Refrigerate until cooled completely to serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Pumpkin Chocolate Mousses, Puddings, & Pies Courses & Meals Desserts Pies & Tarts Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel
Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice) with Chicken
Orecchiette with Sweet Sausage and Rapini
Lemon Coconut Sugar Cookies
Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto
Fried Green Tomato and Pimento Cheese Pizza
Bacon and Cheddar Pierogies
Spring Chicken Stew
Veggie Fried Rice with Oyster Mushrooms
Salmon Burger with Dill and Cucumber