Mac and Cheese is a holiday staple! This year, try your hand at this rich and delicious casserole version. It's kid-friendly and the adults will love it too.
Mac and Cheese Casserole
- 1 Pound Bacon (diced)
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose flour
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 1 Butternut squash (peeled and diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Quart Half & Half (plus 3 cups)
- 1 Pinch Nutmeg
- 1 Bunch Parsley (chopped)
- 1 Pound Rigatoni
- 1 Cup Gruyere
- 1 Cup Marscarpone
- 2 Cups Bread Crumbs
- Bring 6 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Add 2 table spoons of salt. Cook the rigatoni in boiling water until tender. Drain, then set aside.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Sweat onion, butternut squash, and garlic in pan until translucent, then add flour to pan to make roux. Slowly pour in half and half while mixing, and bring mixture to simmer. Add in 1/2 of the gruyere and nutmeg, and constantly stir until all of the cheese is melted. Add the marscarpone and mix until melted and combined. Add the cooked rigatoni and toss pasta until it’s well mixed in the cheese mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss bread crumbs, remaining gruyere and parsley. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the casserole and bake at 375-400F for 5-8 minutes (until the top is golden brown).