Your Favorite Veggies Whipped Up
Michael Symon's Whipped Root Vegetables
- 1 ⁄2 pound potatoes (about 1 large russet)
- 1 ⁄2 pound parsnips (about 2 medium)
- 1 ⁄2 pound celery root (about 1 medium)
- 1 ⁄4 pound turnips (about 2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 ⁄2 pound of whole unsalted butter (2 sticks cut into small pieces)
- Peel all vegetables and cut into an equal size, 1 – 2 inch pieces. Place them in a large pot and cover with twice the volume of cold water and 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring the water to boil uncovered over high heat and boil gently until vegetables are tender (insert a paring knife into a potato – there will be no resistance when they’re cooked), 20 to 30 minutes.
- Strain vegetables well and return to pot and let pot sit for 5 minutes on low heat so to eliminate any excess liquid. Run the hot vegetables through a food mill into a large bowl. Add the remaining tablespoon of salt, whip in the butter.