Refreshing Winter Greens
Emeril's Orange, Walnut, and Goat Cheese Salad
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped Walnuts
- 2 medium Oranges
- 8 ounces Mesclun Salad Greens or Spring Greens Mix
- 2 Shallots (cut into thin rings; about 1/3 cup)
- 5 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon Sugar
- 3 ounces soft mild Goat Cheese (crumbled)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the walnuts on a small baking sheet and toast until fragrant and lightly colored, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside until cooled slightly.
- Cut away the peels from the oranges, leaving no white pith. Holding them over a small bowl, segment the oranges, catching any juices.
- In a large bowl, combine the greens, orange segments, and shallot rings.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the reserved orange juice. Whisk to combine. Taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, tossing to coat it evenly. Add the goat cheese and chopped walnuts, and toss gently to combine.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper if desired, and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, Emeril 20-40-60: Fresh Food Fast, HarperCollins Publisher, New York, 2009, copyright MSLO, Inc., all rights reserved.
This recipe was styled by chef Karen Pickus for Good Morning America.
Similar categories: Lunch