Pumpkin Spice Cake with Rum and Raisins!
Carla Hall's Pumpkin Strudel
- 1/2 cup Golden Raisins
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar (divided)
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 tablespoons Cinnamon (divided)
- 1 pound butter (divided)
- 2 Sugar Pumpkins (peeled; seeded; thinly sliced)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (divided)
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1/4 cup Pecans (roasted and finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs (lightly toasted)
- 3/4 cup Spiced Rum
- 1 Lemon (zested and juiced)
- 16 Sheets Phyllo Dough (thawed)
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Soak raisins in rum to reconstitute.
- Whisk 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, cocoa powder and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- In a large saute pan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Once melted toss in sliced pumpkin and season with 1 teaspoon of salt. Saute for 4 minutes before adding the remaining granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, brown sugar, ginger, pecans and bread crumbs. Season with remaining salt and continue to cook tossing to combine. Pour in raisins and rum and cook until rum is reduced and sugar is melted into liquid about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and zest and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan or microwave.
- Lay out pieces of parchment or wax paper covering a 16 by 24 inch work surface.
- Lay 4 pieces of overlapping phyllo dough to create a large 16 by 24 inch rectangle, using butter as glue where the dough meets. Position the dough long ways. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cocoa powder mixture. Repeat layering three more times.
- Leaving a 2 inch border, use a slotted spoon transfer the pumpkin mixture, mounding widthwise (parallel to counter edge) onto the phyllo.
- Using the paper to assist, loosely roll the dough and mixture away from you to encapsulate the mixture. Pinch the edges and tuck under. Carefully transfer to the prepared baking sheet, seem side down. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cocoa powder mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes or until phyllo is golden and crisp.
- Whisk cinnamon in to whipped cream just to incorporate.
- Slice strudel into 2 inch pieces after resting for 10 minutes. Serve with a dollop of flavored cream.
Similar categories: Desserts