The perfect use for your bananas!
Robert Irvine's Fried Bananas With Lavender Honey and Five Spice
- 1/2 cup good quality chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup seltzer water
- 4 bananas (cut in half on the diagonal)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Lavender honey for drizzling
- Creme fraiche for garnish
- Small chunk dark chocolate for garnish
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- Stir the chocolate syrup and 5-spice powder together and set aside. You can also use Tabasco.
- In a deep fryer or large heavy saute pan with deep sides, heat the oil to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. Add the seltzer water in a stream while whisking constantly. Dip the bananas in the batter to coat and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sift the powdered sugar over the top immediately.
- Place 2 banana pieces on a serving plate and drizzle chocolate sauce over. Top with a drizzle of honey.
- Top with a spoonful of creme fraiche. Grate chocolate over top. Garnish with a small sprig of mint.