A perfect starter or side dish!
Tom Douglas' Washington Apple Salad
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- 4 Washington apples (crisp/havled/cored/julienned)
- 4 cups loosely packed frisee leaves
- 4 heads belgian endive (cored and chopped)
- 1/2 bulb fennel (cored and thinly sliced crosswise)8 oz aged sharp cheddar cheese (preferably cougar gold) crumbled
- In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, mustard, honey, thyme and vinegar. Gradually whisk in the olive oil to form an emulsion. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, frisee, endive and fennel. Drizzle with about two thirds of the vinaigrette and toss to coat all of the ingredients lightly, adding more of the vinaigrette as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese.