Hot Fried Turkey
Preparing a turkey breast is as easy as brine, dredge, and fry. Follow these simple steps and you'll have this bird done.
- step-by-step directions
Hot Fried Turkey
- For the Brine:
- 2 quarts Water
- 1/2 cup Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Turkey Breast (both sides; cut into 8 pieces)
- For the Spiced Oil:
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil (plus more for frying)
- 2 tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Cracked Pepper
- For the Brine: Whisk water, hot sauce, salt and sugar in a bowl until salt and sugar dissolve. Add turkey and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In a large Dutch oven heat oil to 325 degrees.
- For the Spiced Oil: Heat 3 tablespoons oil in small saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Add cayenne, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, garlic powder and sugar. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Pour brine off turkey and pat dry. Arrange on a wire rack in a single layer.
- For Dredging: In a medium bowl, combine dredging ingredients. Put flour mixture in mesh strainer and dust turkey lightly on both sides. Transfer turkey to a rimmed plate and allow to air dry in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove turkey from the refrigerator and return to the wire rack. Dust heavily with flour and then press to help cake on the flour for extra crispiness.
- Fry turkey in preheated oil until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees, about 8-10 minutes. Remove to a clean wire rack.
- Before serving heat oil to 375 and fry turkey just until golden, about 5-6 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Serve with a drizzle of spiced oil.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Courses & Meals Dinner Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Turkey
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat