Hot Fried Turkey
Preparing a turkey breast is as easy as brine, dredge, and fry. Follow these simple steps and you'll have this bird done.
- step-by-step directions
Hot Fried Turkey
- For the Brine:
- 2 quarts Water
- 1/2 cup Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Turkey Breast (both sides; cut into 8 pieces)
- For the Spiced Oil:
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil (plus more for frying)
- 2 tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Cracked Pepper
- For the Brine: Whisk water, hot sauce, salt and sugar in a bowl until salt and sugar dissolve. Add turkey and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In a large Dutch oven heat oil to 325 degrees.
- For the Spiced Oil: Heat 3 tablespoons oil in small saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Add cayenne, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, garlic powder and sugar. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Pour brine off turkey and pat dry. Arrange on a wire rack in a single layer.
- For Dredging: In a medium bowl, combine dredging ingredients. Put flour mixture in mesh strainer and dust turkey lightly on both sides. Transfer turkey to a rimmed plate and allow to air dry in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove turkey from the refrigerator and return to the wire rack. Dust heavily with flour and then press to help cake on the flour for extra crispiness.
- Fry turkey in preheated oil until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees, about 8-10 minutes. Remove to a clean wire rack.
- Before serving heat oil to 375 and fry turkey just until golden, about 5-6 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Serve with a drizzle of spiced oil.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Courses & Meals Dinner Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Turkey
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami
Grilled Swordfish With Mojo
Stephen Smith's Meaty Cheesy Lasagna
Fried Chicken Sandwich with Brussels Sprouts Slaw