Mario Batali's Turkey Tortellini in a Pie
Turkey Tortellini Pie
- step-by-step directions
Mario Batali's Turkey Tortellini in a Pie
- For the Pie Crust:
- 5 cups Cake Flour (plus more for dusting)
- 6 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups cold Unsalted Butter (4 sticks; cut into small chunks)
- 1/2 cup Ice Water (plus more if needed)
For the Tortellini:
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 pound leftover Turkey (very finely chopped)
- 1/2 Red Onion (small diced)
- 6 ounces Prosciutto (finely diced)
- 6 ounces Mortadella (finely diced)
- 1 large Egg (beaten)
- 2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano (freshly grated; plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly grated)
- Salt and freshly ground Pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds basic Pasta Dough
- Flour for dusting
- 2 cups basic Tomato Sauce (plus more for garnish)
- 2 cups Mario's Besciamella Sauce (plus more for garnish)
For the Egg Wash:
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Cream
- For the Pie Crust: Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and zap quickly until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and zap until the dough just forms a ball without being too wet or sticky. Remove the dough from the processor and pat it into two flat disks, each about 2 inches thick. Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- For the Tortellini: In a small dutch oven or a large heavy bottomed skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat until it foams and subsides. Add the turkey and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but still juicy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the prosciutto and mortadella, lower the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes longer. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add the egg and Parmigiano-Reggiano to the filling mixture and mix well. Season with the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the tortellini, divide the pasta dough into 4 portions. Roll each through the thinnest setting on a pasta machine, and lay the sheets on a lightly floured surface.
- Working with 1 sheet at a time, cut into 2-inch squares. Place 1 teaspoon of the tortellini filling in the center of the square, fold two opposite corners together to form a triangle, and press the edges together firmly to seal. Bring the two bottom points of the triangle together, overlapping them slightly, and press to seal. Transfer the tortellini to a baking sheet dusted with flour and cover with a damp towel.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Season generously with salt (so it tastes like the ocean). Cook tortellini for 2-3 minutes, or until cooked almost all the way through. Remove tortellini from the water and let cool in a bowl.
- For the Pie Crust: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Remove one round of dough from the fridge. Sprinkle your work surface and a rolling pin lightly with cake flour.
- Roll the dough out into 16-inch rounds, about 1/4-inch thick. If the dough tears, press the edges back together. Transfer the dough to a deep dish pie dish. Allow excess to hang over the edges. Prick the dough all over with a fork and then blind bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Then, add in the tortellini, the tomato sauce, and then the Besciamella Sauce.
- Roll out the other dough in the same manner as above and then cover the tortellini pie. Cut little slits in the top for steam to escape.
- For the Egg Wash: Brush the dough with the egg wash. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the pie rest for about 15 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with a drizzle of Besciamella and tomato sauce. Top with freshly gated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
rate this recipe
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)
Pan-Seared Salmon with White Wine Butter Sauce, Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
Roasted Chicken and Pimento Mac and Cheese
Fried Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
Stout Ice cream
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken
Herby Store Bought Tomato Sauce
Quick Tomato Sauce
Classic Tomato Sauce